Sculpt and Paint Luminous Birds
Time & Location
About the Event
Join this exciting workshop with Michelle Held. Get ready to learn technique and form that you can apply into all your paintings. The workshop is scheduled for September 22 - 24 from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., daily, at the Bayou Arts Center.
Michelle will cover design, composition, values and edges to make a dramatic successful bird painting. Students will have the option of choosing what bird they would like to sculpt. You will learn fast and effective clay hand building! We will focus on accurate proportions and surface planes.
Students can expect to have a finished clay model on day one. On days two and three,
we will study bird anatomy, gestures and proportions with drawing and paint, ultimately we will study the light effects on the bird that you have created.
Painting from your sculpture and photos, Michelle will guide you on your path by helping you infuse heart and passion into your final masterpiece!!
Cost is $325/members; $350/nonmembers
All clay products and tools will be provided.
Class supply list
This is what I recommend for class, please always feel free to reach out with questions!
An easel and a pallet for oil, probably glass or wood. If you are comfortable with grey paper pallet, that works too
Sketchbook and pencils for drawing (sometimes we do sketch)
Transparent red oxide
A couple of my favorite colors that are bonus colors
All of these can be mixed !!
*Brilliant yellow light Richardson
*Pale violet (Michael Harding)
*Kings Blue Michael Harding
I also love the Radiant colors by Gamblin
I prefer working on panels whenever possible. I personally love Centurion.
Please bring multiple sizes.
I suggest like 8x10 or 9x12 or 11x14
Find something you are comfortable with!!
- Pallet knife
- Brushes (I use several filberts and flat brushes)
- Ask me for a list if you are going to order Rosemary brushes!!
- Razor blade to clean pallet
- Gamsol Oderless mineral spirits
- Neo McGilp or liquin (medium)
- Paper towel
- grocery bags for trash
- Wet-ones wipes keep the hands clean
- I also use Murphy’s oil soap to clean my brushes and dawn soap
- Clay tools if you have them
- I will bring clay and tools for all
- CAA Member$325+$8.13 Service fee$325+$8.13 Service fee0$0
- Non-Member$375+$9.38 Service fee$375+$9.38 Service fee0$0